Pages

Sunday, August 13, 2006

New Employee Orientation

I was asked to attend the new employee orientation over at GCC on Friday. This of course is one day before our week of accountability starts, so I thought it was an odd request. But given the list of activities GCC has planned for week of accountability, I can see why they needed to add this day. I was a bit hesitant to attend because technically I'm not a new employee, just new to GCC. I decided I would go because, if anything, it would give me a chance to learn my way around the campus. I always seem to get turned around when I'm over there. It's huge compared to South (SMCC).

Nancy did not get an invitation to a new employee orientation over at SMCC, so she asked me to come down and show her around and get all set up with her office, phone, email, and computer. A one stop stop to the CTS where Debra and Heather handled all her needs right there on the spot was all she needed. I wasn't as lucky when it came to claiming my computer from SMC, but that's another story.

So on Friday, I attended this orientation at GCC, and right off I was asked to fill out a time card so I would be paid for my time. Awesome. I would have done it for free. We were served drinks and muffins for breakfast and were introduced to a few deans, a vice president academic affairs and the new president of the college. It was a very impressive group. The whole time I was thinking, "deans? I didn't think anyone had deans anymore." At South our deans were moved to vice presidents, and as far as I know we don't have any deans. And when we looked at GCC's organizational chart, I noticed they have department chairs and a bunch of division chairs. There were just too many people to keep track of. The chain of command must be a nightmare.

The day proved to be useful because most of the information was specific to the campus, including a tour of the important buildings and people we would need to work with. We got our ID badges, keys, and a folder full of information. We visited the library and High Tech buildings and met all the techy people inside, Training Center, Innovation Center, and the newly created Faculty Connection Center. What a wonderful place that will be.

No comments: